Search This Blog

Sunday, August 11, 2019

Training for the Camino

Let's Talk about Training

I've added some new routines to my training plan.

Whereas many folks talk about 'get out and hike', and while I don't object to that idea, I've found more success in all-around training to get the mind, body and spirit in a condition of 'being toned' rather than 'ready for hiking'.

So here is my weekly routine (all subject to modification).

Sunday -> Hiking club ( 5 - 8 miles: can be easy / moderate  / strenuous. Hike leader decides.)

Monday -> 1-mile run (under 10 minutes), flow yoga

Tuesday -> Fit circuit (30 minutes), swimming (30 minutes)

Wednesday -> Pickleball (3 hours)

Thursday -> Pilates, Zumba

Friday -> Rest day.

Saturday -> (My YMCA killer combo): Zumba, Pilates and Yoga

Now I know that you don't see a lot of serious hiking in there. I fit it in around the other activities. For any given week leading up to my departure, I will fit in another 10 - 15 miles. It may sound like heresy, but I've learned that given three or four days, my body adjusts to the hiking, but if I am not physically toned when I start the camino, then it's too late once I'm out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment