Search This Blog

Friday, September 20, 2019

Day 03: From Feohanagh to Brandon

From Feohanagh to Brandon

Today's Distance: 14.7 miles / 24 km
MapMyHikeRelive
Total This Camino: 43 miles.
Total All Caminos:  1178 miles
Hostel/Albergue: Beenoskee b&b @ 103 eu
Transportation: Taxi @ 20 eu
Today's video

Notable memories

Adding one more day in Ireland. I need some down time and some slow time. I'm just not going to be able to complete the Dingle Way according to the guide schedule.

As I mentioned in my video, Mount Brandon was just one long slog. However I made it.

In Brandon (after the mountain) I was having two orange juices and water at the local bar when four Brits walked up. They said they had also done Brandon, but they looked so clean. And they looked so happy. LOL, I wanted to kill them.

Mary and Michael, the proprietors at the bed and breakfast, are some really decent folks. Mary washed my muddy clothes, and then later they took me to the local supermarket to get some shopping done.

Just did not feel like restaurant food tonight so at the supermarket I bought yogurts and fruits and power bars and cheeses and meats. So I've gotten plenty to snack on for the hike tomorrow and the day after. That also covers supprr at night, so I can just stay at the bed and breakfast and munch here.

A big lesson I learned today was that one does not have to do things the way that others expect.

In the cab ride from Brandon to the bed and breakfast, I asked the taxi driver to pick me up tomorrow and take me back to Brandon. He said he couldn't because he had an appointment in the morning.

But then he said that I should walk from the bed and breakfast back to Brandon, and he would pick me up in the evening.

I thought that's backwards. But as I thought more about it, who says I have to walk the Dingle Way in a particular direction. And then I thought, who says I have to do anything and a particular way? So that became my lesson today. I can change things to do things the way I want to do them. And it's okay.

Spent part of the afternoon and evening talking with a real nice German couple.

Tomorrow will be a rest day. I'll hike in a relaxed way from the bed and breakfast to Brandon without my backpack, return to the b&b and spend another night, and then take off to finish the Dingle Way on Sunday. It's one day later than I planned, but hey, improvise, adapt, adopt.


Ready to rock and roll for the day. Little did I realize what lie ahead.

Brandon Creek, but not where I was supposed to be.


Brandon Creek, when I got back on the trail where I was supposed to be.

This cute little guy came out to greet me.

Approaching Mount Brandon

It was a gorgeous view from the mountain.



No comments:

Post a Comment