Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Day 01: From Dingle to Dunquin

From Dingle to Dunquin

Today's Distance: 15 miles / 24 km
MapMyHikeRelive
Total This Camino: 15 miles.
Total All Caminos: 1150 miles
Hostel/Albergue: The Grapevine, Dingle @ 25 eu
Transport Taxi: 25 eu

Today was of those days that I knew was going to happen sooner or later. I had a lot of trouble making a booking, and when I got to Dunquin, I had no place to sleep. So it became obvious that Plan B was in effect. I called the taxi and paid for a ride back to my start point at Dingle.

The highlight of the day was my taxi ride back to Dingle at the end of today's hike. Tony was an amazing taxi driver.
We shared a lot of good stories.

One of the things he told me was how to drink Guinness. The bartender will pour the Guinness halfway and walk away. It's to let the Guinness  settle. Then he comes back to top it off and gives you the beer. You're supposed to wait until it settles some more before taking the first sip.
Tony said, now that I know how to have a Guinness, I should have one tonight. Sound advice.

We chatted about the weather here. I started by exclaiming how cloudy and grey it was in the morning, but the sun was out in full force in the afternoon. We got on to the subject of the four seasons, and he asked about snow birds. I mentioned that I love winter. Tony had a saying for people on the peninsula: if your in a short sleeve shirt and shorts, you shouldn't complain that you are cold. Ha ha!

Tomorrow morning I have a taxi coming to pick me up and it will take me to where I finished today. From that point I'll be covering new territory.

Camino 2019 Day 01 Dingle to Dunquin video

Notable memories

Starting out from Dingle on the Dingle way.


Dingle harbour. When I was here last year it was fog covered.


Parts of the trail today went through working ranches.


Where Ventry Bay meets the Atlantic ocean


The last third of today's hike 480 foot climb up Mount Eagle, before descending back to Sea level.

Looking out to the Atlantic ocean


No comments:

Post a Comment