Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Day 22 Aigle to St Maurice

From Aigle to St Maurice

Date10/08/19
Today's Distance: 12 miles / 19 km
MapMyHikeRelive
Total This Camino: 221 miles.
Total All Caminos: 1336 miles
Hotellerie Franciscaine@ 65$

Today the weather was gorgeous. Lots of sun and blue skies. It makes for a very motivating walk when the sun is washing over you.

The weather for tomorrow is going to be miserable. Right now the current prediction is pretty much 100% rain all day long. So if I'm lucky I'll be that light sprinkling kind of rain rather than that more kind of sheet rain.

Daily chores done. Clothes washed. Shower taken. Supermarket run for energy foods done.


Notable Memories

It has been three or maybe four days now since I've really talked with anybody about hiking out here. I meet people and have casual conversations, local people, who say that many hike the trail that I'm doing. I just don't see them.

Trail feelings

I'm on the downhill run as far as Switzerland goes, meaning that I've got less days to hike remaining than days I've already hiked.

It's been a different experience. Most days I'm by myself.

No real spiritual meaning to it, at least nothing I've been able to pull out. It's a hike which is okay, just feels different.

It's not a Camino but it is a pilgrimage route to Rome. But there's no infrastructure support, so that's probably what changes everything.

But in just walking around Saint Maurice, I stumbled across the Abbey of Saint Maurice which had a mass in French but with Gregorian chant.

I found a column to lean against and put myself in shavasana and just really let the music flow over me. Crazy how a stupid little quirk of fate can negate an earlier feeling.


First climb of the day is about 500 feet.

Rhône valley after climb




Many of the tributaries have been reengineered to human specifications



First sighting of the Rhône river

View from second climb. Rhône valley amidst the Alps.

Saint Maurice





 Rhône river in St Maurice

Abbey of Saint Maurice

The Abbey of St. Maurice, Agaunum is a Swiss monastery of canons regular in Saint-Maurice, Canton of Valais, which dates from the 6th century. It is situated against a cliff in a section of the road between Geneva and the Simplon Pass. The abbey itself is a territorial abbacy and not part of any diocese.






No comments:

Post a Comment