Search This Blog

Friday, October 11, 2019

Day 24 Martigny to Orsiéres

From Martigny to Orsiéres

Date10/10/19
Today's Distance: 13 miles / 21 km
MapMyHikeRelive
Total This Camino: 244 miles.
Total All Caminos: 1349 miles
Hostel/Albergue: Hôtel Terminus @ 50$

According to the contour map, I had to climb from 500 meters altitude to 900 meters. That difference of 400 meters is just over 1200 feet over 12 miles. I think I can do 100 feet of elevation climb for every mile. Of course it's not a straight quitd pro quo, mile for mile.

Tomorrow's climb to Bourg St Pierre

I don't know what's with the different elevation guides. The official Via Francigena app says that there is 1000+ meters difference in altitude between where I'm at today and where I'm headed tomorrow. But then I look at the profile map that they provide and I read it as more like 700 meters.

I have a separate app that gives me the elevation of different places. I did a quick calculation again between where I am tonight and where I'm headed tomorrow and it comes up with about 2,300 feet which if you divide that by 3.1 feet per meter comes out to about 750 meters. So I guess I know what number to believe.

Just not sure about what I'm feeling to do next. The original plan was to go to Portugal. But I'm feeling burned out. The question is: what am I feeling burned out about?

Burn out?

I could call it quits after Switzerland, but I did have a desire to hike in Portugal. On the other hand, if I'm burned out because of Switzerland and being alone, that would change in Portugal where I would expect to be with other pilgrims.

Right now getting up and started in the morning has been difficult for the last four or five days. I think it's because I'm hiking alone, and then I'm alone all night in the whatever room I'm in, be at a hotel, hostel or b&b.

if I go to Portugal, there'd be albergues along the way where I would meet other pilgrims. But if I'm just burned out on hiking, being in Portugal won't be the answer.

Notable memories

Orsiéres









My bed for the night. Mixed dorm.

No comments:

Post a Comment