Search This Blog

Sunday, October 6, 2019

Day 19 Cossanay to Lausanne

From Cossanay to Lausanne

Date10/05/19
Today's Distance: 15 miles / 24 km
MapMyHikeRelive
Total This Camino: 175 miles.
Total All Caminos: 1290 miles
Hostel/Albergue: Auberge de Jeunesse @ 60$

I stopped to take off my overcoat and cold weather gear off, and Antonio caught up to me. It was a pleasant surprise to meet him again today. Along the way we talked about a lot of things about America and about the Netherlands. Very interesting conversations. I'm glad to have met him on the Via Francigena.

We will be splitting up now as he plans on doing the next three stages in 2 days, where I am in no hurry and will take 3 days to do three stages.  It was my good fortune to meet him.

Today's walk was pretty unremarkable in terms of weather and sights to see. That's not a negative thing. It just means nothing spectacular happened.

I did enjoy the walk along the Venoge river, watching it grow from a narrow manufactured channel to a river in its own right to its mouth on the Lake Geneva. It made for a very interesting point of view and possibly a metaphor on life.

After days in hotels and airbnbs, I went into culture shock after I got into my room at the hostel. I went from creature comforts to, well basically, survival status. I don't expect much from a hostel, but when the wall sockets are all far away from the bed and there's only one for a room of five, that's a problem.

I'm missing someone special.

For some reason, being in the hostel really got my nerves going. Got really jumpy. Got really anxious. So I went and took a walk, and came across this beautiful cemetery which was really peaceful. It was a good experience for me.

Finishing up supper now. Eating at the hostel dining room. Not going to say it was great food, but it was definitely fulfilling. Corn chowder. Beef. Rice and vegetables. Bread. And brownies. Lots of protein and carbohydrates.

I have to believe, that any given day, I'm burning about 3,000 calories. I figure at conservatively 200 calories per mile, and walking anywhere from 12 to 18 miles, that's a reasonable estimate.

Notable memories



Fall is on the way in Cossanay

Barbed wire on one side and a 30-ft fall on the other side

Beautiful countryside hike


Tall tall trees

Watching how the Venoge River grows bigger




Probably about 5 km from the mouth now

Very shortly the river empties into Lake Geneva

Feel fortunate to have met Antonio on this hike

Lac Lemer aka Lake Geneva


The view while Antonio and I had lunch



No comments:

Post a Comment